How does this role benefit the work of the organization and the profession?
This role supports the education and credentialing activities of the SOA, continually developing pertinent content, both foundational and advanced, to ensure the integrity of the SOA’s credentials.
The SOA is looking for actuaries with experience in Group & Health or related areas to grade exam papers for:
· Group & Health Risk Mitigation Exam
· Group & Health Valuation and Regulation Exam
· Group & Health Design and Pricing Exam
*You will select one G&H exam that you prefer to grade for within the application form.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance with the SOA Education Confidentiality Agreement.
- Grading process starts with the SOA providing access to grading files targeted for Friday, May 12, 2023.
- Each Grader will grade approximately 1-2 exam questions; the Grader will grade 10 common questions independently and then review them with their grading partner(s) to ensure consistency in grading. Then the Grader will continue to grade their remaining questions on their own.
- Graders are asked to complete and submit their first round of grading results by Sunday, May 28, 2023.
- Papers that need to be graded a second time must be completed before or at the Central Grading meeting.
- Hybrid Central Grading meetings are scheduled for Friday, June 9 and Saturday, June 10. Volunteers must be available on Friday, June 9 to validate initial score entry. Graders will have Friday, and Saturday if needed, to work on second grading/reconciliations with their grading partner(s).
- Central grading will have the option to be done virtually or in person if preferred.
· Graders generally grade 1-2 exam questions.
· Graders generally spend 20-30 hours in total: about 10 to 20 hours on the initial grading assignment, plus about 10 hours preparing for and participating in Central Grading.
· Must be FSA
· Must have expertise in at least part of the Group and Health exam syllabus
· Individuals pursuing their ERM designation are ineligible to volunteer for G & H Exam activities
US and Canada Only
· Travel is optional for Central Grading. Central Grading may still be completed virtually.
· Local COVID related protocols will be adhered to. The SOA will reimburse for all COVID testing required for travel.
SOA Training Required
Inexperienced graders will be mentored by experienced graders on how to grade. There is a webinar offered by the SOA a few weeks before the grading process begins for less-experienced graders.
Primary Area of Practice