How does this role benefit the work of the organization and the profession?
This role supports the education and credentialing activities of the SOA, in particular the question writing for the Predictive Analytics exams, to ensure the integrity of the SOA’s credentials.
Responsibilities & Duties
The SOA is looking for volunteers to support the Predictive Analytics Exam (Exam PA), a three-and-a-half-hour practical exam where candidates are given data and a series of tasks.
Volunteers will familiarize themselves with the assigned syllabus and exam materials and write questions.
The responsibilities and duties will include:
- Attending item writer training (virtual)
- Reading and understanding the assigned syllabus material
- Developing high-quality exam questions and corresponding grading rubric based on the exam syllabus and learning objectives
- Working reliably and with the construction committee leadership
- Maintaining confidentiality in accordance with the SOA Education Confidentiality Agreement
- 20-30 hours spread among several months
- Volunteers are expected to begin work in September to develop exam-quality question(s) and associated grading rubric by February.
- Must be FSA or Career ASA (5+ years as ASA and not pursuing the FSA designation)
- Predictive analytics knowledge on some portion of the syllabus via prior training or practical experience
- As R is used in the exam, ability to interpret R code in RStudio for grading; ability to modify R code for item writing
Writers should be prepared to attend meetings in person (early December and late January), if possible.
SOA Training Required
If new to exam development, it is recommended that the volunteer to go through the on-line training course
Open to all Specializations