How does this role benefit the work of the organization and the profession?
This role benefits the profession by introducing students to the actuarial profession and provides information on the career.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Participates in training webcast
- Communicates regularly with university’s faculty contact
- Shares SOA information about exams and programs with faculty/students
- Assists with advice regarding course development based on industry needs
- Available to speak with actuarial students at on-campus events or via email to help answer questions about the profession or give other advice
- Assists in recruiting actuarial speakers for actuarial courses or club meetings/events
- Provides SOA with feedback about serving as a University Support Actuary at end of each semester
Preferred attributes for this role include
- Interest in university education
- General understanding of SOA Education system
- Interest in mentoring students and providing guidance
Term of Service
A two-year term of service is recommended for this position. The years coincide with the academic calendar year of the university. The University Support Actuary may serve an additional term, if appropriate.
Time commitment is on an as needed basis and as agreed upon with the university’s faculty contact, but will include:
- Regular communication via phone and/or email with the faculty contact throughout academic year
- Attendance at university student events or meetings on campus (at least twice per year)
- ASA or FSA with at least two years work experience
U.S. - based on location of university
Participation at on-campus events and meetings with faculty (at least twice per year)
SOA Training Required
- Participation in a confernce call training session (approximately one-hour in length) provided by the SOA.