How does this role benefit the work of the organization and the profession?
This role supports the research activities of the SOA Research Institute, providing actuaries with valuable up-to-the-minute data on climate risk related issues, enabling them to make more informed and accurate decisions.
Responsibilities & Duties
Some of the tasks of the committee include:
- Operationally coordinate with calendar of events for SOA and other organizations’ calendars of events for opportunities to highlight Program Research
- Consider opportunities for presentation of Program content at non-SOA meetings and other professional development options such as webcasts.
- Support “education” to audience promoting how to use the published research
- Evaluation of whether Program content can be used to support SOA exams as study notes and other material.
- Coordinate individual SOA webcasts or educational series highlighting Program research (research agreements often include an agreement for researchers to help promote the research, such as by presenting at a webcast or conference)
- Consult with SOA Professional Development department on potential presentation of Program content at SOA meetings and webcasts.
- Facilitate what actuaries want to say and how they want to say it about Catastrophe & Climate risks (what can we say that helps to educate our “stakeholders”)
- Likely 2-4 hours per month.
- One year term, which can be renewed.
- A combination of committee calls and work of the committee to be determined.
ASA, FSA, or other relevant professional background is preferred
SOA Training Required
Open to all specializations